Whether you are a road cyclists or a mountain biker, your bicycle will inevitable come into contact with mud, grime and other abrasive materials that will speed up the deterioration of your ride.
Bicycle maintenance can seem intimidating, but by incorporating a few simple steps in your riding routine you will greatly improve the performance and safety of your bike.
At Bergener & Associates, we are committed to bike safety awareness. Several members of our team are seasoned cyclists and mountain bikers who advocate accident prevention. They have helped put together this list.
- Clean: Dirt and grime gums up your bike and will make bike maintenance difficult. Knocking off caked on dirt and debris should be the first step in your bike care routine. You should remove the rest of the muck with a rag and warm water. Resist the urge to hose down your bike, it may damage sensitive bearings.
- Examine: Now that your bike is clean, you can catch small problems before they become serious. Noticing a wobbly wheel, fraying cables, and deep kinks in hydraulic brake hoses early may prevent an accident or more extensive repair. Make sure your lights are in working order.
- Lubricate: Check to see if your bike chain is dry. If it is, lubricate it with oil or grease recommended by your local bike shop. Keeping your bike properly lubricated will protect moving parts of your bike from excessive wear and corrosion.
- Tire Pressure: Give your tires a quick squeeze. Low tire pressure will not only hurt the performance of your bike, but can lead to rim, tube, and tire damage.
- Store Properly: The way you store your bike will have a big impact on the potential wear and tear. Ideally, keep your bike somewhere that is dry and away from direct sunlight such as your garage.
This list may be obvious, but each step should be a regular part of your bicycle riding routine. We want your bike to be in pristine condition every time you go out and ride. This will enable you to respond to road hazards quickly and effectively.
For more information, visit the bicycle accident page on our website. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, call us today for a completely free consultation at 1-800-881-2021.